The duties and functions of the Director of Town and Country Planning can be divided into Technical – Statutory-Non-statutory, advisory and administrative.
The Technical statutory functions.
- Preparation of General Town Planning Schemes (Master Plans)
- Preparation of Indicative Land Use Plans (Mandal Master Plans)
- Technical Approval of Layouts
- Technical Approval of Buildings Plans. (Group Housing), Commercial complexes
- Preparation and approval of type designs for community and public buildings
- Technical Clearance of Installations (Industries)
- Approval of Road Development Plans.
- NOC for Cinema Theatres / Multiplexes.
The Technical non-statuary functions.
- Allocation of IDSMT funds (The scheme is already closed in the year 2005 and the work of approved components is under progress)
- Approval of Designs for Public and Community Buildings
- Suggesting variations to the sanctioned Master Plans
- Advisor to Urban Development Authorities, Telangana Housing Board, Telangana Industrial Infrastructure Corporation, Telangana Pollution Control Board, Telangana Swagruha Housing Corporation and Government on planning matters.
- Advises on selection of sites and services of Municipal Councils.