The department looks after the subject of planning and development in urban and rural areas. The development is achieved through Master Plans prepared for the urban centers and rural areas by way of Master Plans and indicative Land Use Plans. Development plans for Mandal Headquarters are prepared by the department. The planned development is achieved through approval of layouts and by regulating the developments through building rules and zoning regulations and approval of industrial institutions.
The Directorate of Town and Country Planning has two distinct functions, one under urban front and the other on the rural front. In respect of urban area particularly the Municipal towns are planned and regulated under the provisions of APTP Act,1920 under the provisions of local body acts, viz., Municipal Corporation Act, Andhra Pradesh Municipalities act and A.P. Urban Areas (Development) Act and A.P. Cinematography Act. In respect of Rural Areas, the developments are regulated under the provisions of Andhra Pradesh Panchayat Raj Act, 1992 in respect of approval layouts and granting permissions for industries and installations.
The department assists the Government in all Town and Country Planning matters as well as in coordinating with various departments involved in area development like Telangana Housing Board, Telangana State Housing and Urban Development Corporations. Telangana Industrial and infrastructure corporation, Industries Department etc.
The department provides technical assistance to various departments involved in planning and development.
This department offers technical remarks to the Government in the matters like change of land use proposals, alienation of lands.
This department is able to achieve a fairly reasonable level of developments in most of the urban centers and in the rural areas by way of suggesting and implementing layouts and regulating the industries and other buildings as per the norms.
� Apart from the above, the department is also suggesting and getting implemented various Environmental Improvement Schemes, Remunerative Schemes and Road widening Schemes at various levels.
The duties and functions of the Director of Town and Country Planning can be divided into Technical – Statutory-Non-statutory, advisory and administrative.
The Technical statutory functions.
- Preparation of General Town Planning Schemes (Master Plans),
- Preparation of Indicative Land Use Plans (Mandal Master Plans),
- Technical Approval of Layouts,
- Technical Approval of Buildings Plans. (Group Housing), Commercial complexes,
- Preparation and approval of type designs for community and public buildings,
- Technical Clearance of Installations (Industries)
- Approval of Road Development Plans.
- NOC for Cinema Theatres / Multiplexes.
The Technical non-statuary functions.
- Allocation of IDSMT funds (The scheme is already closed in the year 2005 and the work of approved components is under progress)
- Approval of Designs for Public and Community Buildings,
- Suggesting variations to the sanctioned Master Plans.
- Advisor to Urban Development Authorities, Telangana Housing Board, Telangana Industrial Infrastructure Corporation, Telangana Pollution Control Board, Telangana Swagruha Housing Corporation and Government on planning matters.
Advises on selection of sites and services of Municipal Councils.